Stuff I find to be interesting, funney and off the wall

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Nimbus

Well for those unaware I am training for my first 5k run. It is going to be as part of a relay team for the Carlsbad Triathlon. My dad is going to bike, and my brother-in-law is going to swim. Anyways I have been trying to run about 3 times a week, and have been trying to follow this guide I found, The Couch-to-5K Running Plan, but I think my running skills a just a small tad better then the starting few weeks they suggest.

So that is some background to my running endeavor. Last weekend was pretty exciting. When I was down in SD, Rob took me over to Road Runner Sports to check out running shoes. All the employees were really knowledgeable about shoes, and matching the right shoe to the right type of feet. Also if you don't believe their word, they have a really neat computer setup. There is a matt you can walk over and the computer records how and what pressure you step with. From that the operator ( in my case CJ, really excited about helping us out ) looks at the pressure points and suggest a shoe and insole to help your running style. She suggested a cushion shoe, and after trying on a few and testing them out on the treadmill, and outside, I picked the Asics GEL-NIMBUSĀ® VI and some green superfeet inserts. The biggest surprise was that it was all Rob's treat! Thanks Rob!

First Nimbus run:
Almost a weekly run now, Chris and I headed out at lunch for a run. Last week ran from work into IV to the beach. I looked it up and it was about 2 miles each way. This week I followed Chris's new favorite route (see map). Before we headed out I saw that he had his gps in the truck, so he took it along for the run. Thus he could see that the loop we ran was 3 miles, just about my 5k. Sadly I didn't make it non-stop yet! We started at marker A, marker B is the 1 mile mark, C 2 mile mark. I made it to about the 2 mile mark, only walking to climb the hill off the beach back to the bike path. Then I was able to go till about the IV school, and then ended up walking/running the last mile. On that last mile my feet were kind of feeling numb, which was strange, maybe my feet aren't used to that much work? Oh well next time I will try for more distance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home