Stuff I find to be interesting, funney and off the wall

Friday, July 22, 2005

Take that Jealously

I have to admit that long ago I was a Mac user, but the draw of more software and windows made me a convert when I went off to college. Anyways the Mac interface has always held a spot in my heart, and with the newest OS X operating system things are looking pretty cool on the Mac side. One of the new features is called the dashboard, which is a bunch of widgets. They are small tools that live on your desktop, and can really be anything from the daily weather to news feeds or even a webcam. Seems that whenever something new would pop on the internet there would be a cool new Mac Widget to go with it.

So until now I was like "Oh, no widget for me" :( .... But then I found that I can download widgets too! Yep windows can do it to. Check it out!

Now I just have to clean up my desktop to find room for all the widgets I want. I found one that will grab the newest comic strip of your choice, Get Fuzzy here I come! There are also instructions on how to write your own widgets, which seems pretty cool. I think they are a mix of JavaScript and Xml. I could have a widget that pulls from my photo gallery or even from a crazy quote site if it ever gets it done *cough* sygyzy *cough*.

Update: So I downloaded konfabulator and it is pretty cool. Some on the widgets seem to take up to much space on my tiny laptop screen, but I also have to many files on my desktop as well. Anyways the downside is the program is only a 2 week trial, and they you have to pay $20 for it. But I also found this free toolbar which looks pretty promising, called Desktop Sidebar

Update 2: Wow, such crazy timing that I find this cool tool, and viola, Yahoo! buys them up, and it will soon be free! Sweetness!
Read: Yahoo Buys Maker of 'Widget' Applications

1 Comments:

Blogger sygyzy said...

That reminds me, I should work on the quotes thing. Oh but one small problem. Our DSL is out for the next week!

5:22 PM, July 29, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home